The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) has a vacancy based in Vienna, Austria, for Senior Legal Advisor in the Legal Office.
- Provides strategic legal advice on legal matters affecting the Organization’s operations, projects, and initiatives.
- Drafts, reviews, and negotiates complex international contracts, agreements, and partnerships, ensuring legal compliance and protection of the Organization's interests.
- Identifies legal risks and opportunities, and develop proactive strategies to mitigate potential legal issues while fostering a culture of compliance.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with international laws, regulations, and industry standards applicable to the Organization's operations.
- Develops and implements compliance programmes as necessary.
- Handles or oversees the management of disputes, litigation, and arbitration involving the Organization. Collaborates with external legal counsel and Appeals Committee, when required.
- Advises on corporate governance matters, including meetings of the Board of Governors, Member Country relations, and regulatory reporting, as needed.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the Secretariat’s policies, procedures, and guidelines to ensure legal compliance and best practices.
- Stays updated on international legal developments, treaties, conventions, and regulations relevant to the Organization's operations.
- Builds and maintains relationships with external legal partners, regulatory authorities, government agencies, and professional associations as needed for the execution of his/her tasks.
- Promotes a culture of ethical behavior and legal awareness within the Secretariat, including provision of legal training and guidance to internal teams as needed.
- Carries out any other tasks assigned by the General Legal Counsel as pertain to his/her background, qualifications and position.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- University degree in Law
- Advanced degree in International Law or related field preferred
- Active license to practice law at least one relevant jurisdiction(s)
- University degree: 8 years with a min. of 3 years at the international level
- Advanced degree: 6 years with a min. of 3 years at the international level
- Experience and/or training in at least one of the following areas:
- Public International Law
- Comparative Energy Law
- International Administrative Law
- Law of International Organizations
- International Trade Law
- Human Rights Law
- International Development Law
- Other relevant specializations in international law
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Analytical and presentation skills
- Customer service orientation
- Initiative and integrity
- Monthly basic salary of (€11,040 x 12 per year), with tax-free benefits and six-week annual leave.
- For more details please visit: https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/employment/56.htm
Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 55 years. Applicants are requested to fill in a resume and an application form, which can be received from their Country’s Governor for OPEC. In order for applications to be considered, they must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor not later than 12 January 2024.