The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) has a vacancy based in Vienna, Austria, for Legal Advisor in the Legal Office.
- Develops studies and analyses of matters related to the Organization's and Secretariat's objectives and activities (climate change law, energy law, energy transition law, development law, trade law, competition law, investment law, etc.).
- Designs and produces knowledge products for dissemination of the prepared analyses (articles, bulletins, blog posts, seminars, conferences, training materials, and content for multimedia and social media publications, among others.).
- Presents findings of knowledge products to the General Legal Counsel and other Divisions/Departments/Offices within the Secretariat, or externally, as instructed.
- Develops a network of collaborators for the production creation of legal knowledge related to the energy transition aligned with the Organization’s objectives.
- Supports the development of networks across Member Countries and other oil-producing countries, to align views and strengthen participation in global legal fora.
- Investigates, compiles and analyzes best practices on energy law, investment law, climate change law, and other related legal areas, coordinating with external partners, prioritizing knowledge relevant to Member Countries.
- In collaboration with Member Counties’ professionals and legal networks, showcases recent legal trends in these countries on reconciling climate change and energy investment and development through laws, executive regulations, policies, or case law.
- Represents the Legal Office in legal Working Groups or Task Forces in the relevant areas of expertise.
- Identifies national and international legal reviews or journals to publish relevant knowledge products that have been prepared.
- Carries out any other tasks assigned by the relevant superiors as pertain to his/her background, qualifications, and position.
Requirements and Work Experience
- University degree in law and admitted to the bar in at least one jurisdiction
- At least 8 years of work experience upon receiving the university degree, preferably in a research institution, university or law firm
- Training Specialization
- Desirable specialization in a combination of:
- Energy law
- Climate change law
- Energy transition law
- Trade law
- International investment law
- International law
- Development Antitrust
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Contracts Skills and Knowledge
- Presentation and analytical skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Initiative and integrity
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; German an asset
- Monthly basic salary of (€6,669 x 12 per year), with tax-free benefits and six-week annual leave.
- For details please visit: https://www.opec.org/opec_web/en/employment/1626.htm
Applicants should please complete the form called “Application Form” which may be downloaded from our homepage (www.opec.org) and send it to: OPEC Finance & Human Resources Department Helferstorferstrasse 17 A-1010 Vienna – AUSTRIA Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org Online applicants should quote “Job Code 1.1.06” in the “Subject” field. An automatic reply will be sent to confirm the successful submission of the documents.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 10 December 2023
Acknowledgements will only be sent to short-listed candidates.